If you attended a foreign school as part of a study abroad program, then this section does NOT pertain to you. Please see the “Study Abroad and Overseas U.S. Transcripts” section for detailed information on how to report your experience.


Canadian schools that provide English transcripts are NOT considered foreign. Please see the U.S. and English Canadian Transcripts section for how to report your work. Original transcripts from these schools must be sent to VMCAS, even if your veterinary program does not accept Canadian transcripts. VMCAS willNOT accept WES foreign evaluations in lieu of an official English transcript from Canadian schools that PROVIDE TRANSCRIPTS IN ENGLISH .

Canadian schools that have transcripts issued in French are considered FOREIGN and must be reported like any other foreign school. Evaluations for these schools should be sent to VMCAS. VMCAS will NOT accept original Canadian transcripts written in French.


ALL Caribbean medical schools  are considered FOREIGN institutions, even if they have offices in the U.S. or allow U.S. licensing. No Caribbean school has regional U.S. accreditation and cannot be considered a U.S. Institution. This includes schools who participate in the VMCAS application. Common Caribbean medical schools include but are not limited to: Ross University, St. George’s University, St. Matthew’s School of Medicine, and the American University of Antigua. Please list your Caribbean Medical School as a foreign institution and do NOT send Caribbean Medical School transcripts to VMCAS as they will be rejected. Applicants should instead determine if the veterinary program(s) requires a foreign evaluation, which may be sent to VMCAS, or if the veterinary program(s) will accept the original Caribbean transcript mailed directly to them.


The majority of veterinary programs require that applicants have their foreign coursework submitted to a U.S.-based evaluation service for a course-by-course U.S. degree equivalency report.  VMCAS is requiring all applicants to go through WES (World Education Services) and request ICAP evaluation. This evaluation must be sent to VMCAS directly from WES electronically. Contact WES as early as possible. Their services may take several weeks to process the foreign transcript once it is received.

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR ALL APPLICANTS WITH FOREIGN COURSEWORK: An electronic foreign coursework evaluation through World Education Service (WES) is required for all foreign coursework, with the exception of study abroadVMCAS will not accept evaluations from any other firm. Applicants who are re-applying will also need to request an updated foreign coursework evaluation directly from WES. No exceptions.

DO NOT SEND FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS. VMCAS does NOT accept foreign transcripts, including those printed in English. Do NOT send foreign transcripts to VMCAS, as they will be shredded.

DO NOT SEND TRANSLATED FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS. VMCAS does NOT accept foreign documents translated into English as this documentation is insufficient. Only a credential evaluation from WES  will be accepted.

You must request electronic WES evaluations through the VMCAS application by clicking the “WES Evaluations Request” button after listing your foreign school in the “Colleges Attended” section. This will take you to WES’ website to complete a request, and once your evaluation is complete, WES will send your evaluation to VMCAS electronically. Please note that VMCAS will NOT accept paper WES evaluations sent to us via mail directly from WES.


Q: Will VMCAS send my foreign course evaluation to my designated schools?

A: Yes. VMCAS will send your course evaluation to the schools that you have designated.

Q: I accidentally sent my foreign transcript to VMCAS. Can VMCAS return it to me or forward it to my veterinary program?

A: NO. Under no circumstances can VMCAS forward your foreign transcript to a third party, including returning it to you. Any foreign transcripts received by VMCAS will be shredded.